10.14.2007

To Be or Not To Be...an Ostrich


I spent the past week at graduate school with a bunch of very smart and talented people. People smarter than me. People more talented than me.

Just a few minutes ago I was at church preaching. I felt like I had something to say worth saying. I felt like what I had to say would matter. I'm not sure that I said it in a manner that it did.

Here's the point - Life is a humbling experience. There are people smarter than you out there. There are people more talented than you out there. Sometimes all we can do is our best, even when it's not THE best.

Embrace humility. The rest of us will like you much more for having done it. We know that you're not the best and we like you anyway. Own up to the truth. Be a man.

Or, you can become an ostrich. Stick your head in the sand and deny the humiliation. In the real world, you'll look a little ridiculous, but you'll be in good company. People choose the delusion of superiority over the reality of humility all the time.

1 comment:

epdog said...

too long; didn't read

joking, i'll start to ramble some in my blog too so i can be like you