10.31.2007

Failed Hero

This fall, my wife and I took our 3 boys to my grandparents' farm. We had a blast riding around with Uncle Dave in a brand new combine with all the amenities - including GPS that conveys moment by moment yield for every yard of every field. Very cool.

Anyway, after our combining adventure, we took the boys on a Gator rider around the farm. One of our first stops was the old swing. My brothers and I grew up swinging from the very same branch 30 feet up an old oak tree. It is such a big swing, my four year old was having second thoughts. Like any good parents, we decided to talk him into it. "Here. Mommy will go first. It's fun!"

With the first slight push to get her moving, there was a funny crackling sound from high above. A couple seconds later, a LARGE (4.5 foot X 12 inch round) branch crashed to the ground grazing Jody's head leaving her a nasty gash. Honestly, I'm not sure what would have happened if it had hit her square on the head.Everybody likes to imagine that, given the opportunity, we would step up in a dangerous situation and be a heroes. I had one of those opportunities. Believe me when I tell you that it came and went really fast. So fast, in fact, that I never even flinched... Sound, slight confusion, BOOM!

Fortunately, nothing bad resulted. But, I can't escape the thought that I COULD have saved her. I could have had a sacrificial and heroic moment. I failed. I am humbled even as I recount our day at the great swing. Perhaps next time, my ears will be more responsive at the first crackle of danger and I can amend this blog to "Hero at Last."

No comments: