10.04.2007

People and Legacy

I had lunch with an old friend yesterday. It was a great time reminiscing about the way things used to be and catching up with the way that they are. My how things change! Back in the day, we were carefree college guys who liked cutting class to play tennis. Today, we're both husbands, dads and career-oriented employees. Somewhere between the house salad (with ranch) and the Southwestern chicken wrap, we began looking ahead a little bit. The question: are we headed towards our destinies?

I have had a pretty good life filled with things that people generally consider "significant." However, looking over my shoulder at those things, they feel a little bit like little league baseball trophies. A few years later, and they don't matter too much. The times with lasting significance, the times when I think I have "hit my stride" in reaching for my destiny all have to do with people. The times I have impacted another, invested my time and energy in the welfare of another - those times matter.

People matter. My wife matters. My three boys matter. Family matters. Friends matter. The inconvenient person I usually try to avoid matters. Long after the clamor of my activity has faded, my legacy in people may or may not live on - I prefer that it does.

So what about it. Maybe you and I can create, pursue, and seek opportunities, while we're about the typical activities of life, to positively impact the life of another. Create your legacy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more. But you already know that.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.