2.13.2008

Warriors...hopefully?

As I further contemplated the notion of each generation learning to fight the good fight, in utter disregard of the best protective efforts of parents (and often times the church), something else occurred to me.

While praying with some mighty men and women of God, the subject of revival and growth came up in regards to the youth. Having been thinking recently of Joshua and the taking of the Promised Land, I put this thought together:

Taking land (seeing God's kingdom advance) is CONTRARY to safety.

Furthermore:
1. Moving forward provokes new enemies.
2. Unknown enemies reside in new territories.
3. Old (former) battle tactics are also outdated. New and unique warfare is needed.

(By the way, this all comes straight from Joshua - check it out for yourself.)

All this points towards an uncomfortable decision - build up walls to close ourselves off and try to prevent defeat, or march out to engage new enemies risking defeat for the sake of victory. (This also begs a comment on faith - if we really have it, why do we run from enemies instead of engaging them.)

I have no idea what battles my boys will face as they grow up. What I do know is that my battles today are not at all the same battles my parents or grandparents faced. I suppose my challenge is just to see that they are mighty warriors ready for whatever may come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what I'm thinking about, and obviously I mean this not to assault your word choice, because as a close friend I understand your intention and point behind this entry and such, but, what I thought about was this use of the war metaphor; I've seen this a lot and I know you have too. I find it really interesting. I want to be an ambassador, though. I want to trade and converse with my enemies (I mean I don't want to, but I should, and plus they are not so different from me..); I want to exchange culture with them. Figuratively of course. I've read some out there stuff that talks about how our very language can actually hinder our ability to think and such, and I find that very interesting and I'm not sure it's true. I'm rambling now.